Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bono Was At Harvard

Seven years ago this month, I graduated from college. Our commencement speaker on that rainy May morning back in 2001 was U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ).


According to The Daily Pennsylvanian, the University of Pennsylvania's independent student newspaper:

The assembled crowd went wild when McCain came to the podium, cheering for the senator as he proceeded to entertain the crowd with a self-deprecating address similar to the one given by President Bush at Yale University that same day.

Sounds like a pretty raucous scene, no? The crowd (of hungover 21-year-olds) went wild? Not exactly my recollection, but whatever. It would be interesting to see what sort of reception McCain would receive this year given his present perch atop the Republican ticket. Something tells me he'd have to be pretty damn self-deprecating to elicit cheers from what I'd imagine is an overwhelmingly pro-Obama student body.

5 comments:

kevin said...

all i remember from graduation day was how rainy it was and how absolutely boring he was. He just mumbled away for about an hour. there was another political standout from our graduation though: harold ford junior. remember the name.

Alex P. Keaton said...

Harold Ford jr. is clearly not left wing enough to make a name for himself in the party of Obama and Pelosi. I am sure McCain was real boring at that commencement - what was he 70 yrs old then.

Sarah said...

I don't remember who spoke at my college graduation, but I do remember that whoever she was, she told us to "follow our bliss." And as I sit here, looking at my cubicle walls, I'm wondering if perhaps I misunderstood her instructions.

Matt Ellinwood said...

The screams of the crowd were probably elicted by getting poked in the eye by the umbrellas of trust fund babies, the delight when he finally stopped talking in the midst of the biblical deluge, or the joy of hung over mictoration in one's own robes.

Matt Ellinwood said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.