Friday, May 9, 2008

Baby Fishmouth

In the interest of preparing Koufax for the arrival of our daughter next month, Amanda and I have been walking around our condo with a newborn doll. We have "fed" this thing, changed its clothes and even equipped it with a comically oversized diaper; Koufax has been predictably uninterested in the whole charade:


Curious to see how Koufax would react to me singing to the "baby," I performed Rock-A-Bye Baby over cereal this morning and, for the first time in my life, the beloved nursery rhyme's lyrics struck me as odd:

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall,
And down will come baby, cradle and all.


So, the baby is seriously injured, right? In a best case scenario? Sweet dreams, little one.

4 comments:

Jay Nicolosi said...

hmmmm. i just tried to leave a comment, but it didn't work. it was a good one, too.

the gist was a DZ blog will be dangerous....

and there was a great simpsons episode where maggie was visualizing the "rock-a-bye" lyrics and freaked out.

Jesse Gallagher said...

I remember well, that Simpsons episode.
Emily just changes the words to that song. When I sing it, I end it with a bloody life-ending landing, then let out a sinister booming laugh. I try to drag every tear out of my daughter daily.
Honestly, I moved on from the classic bedtime songs a while ago. I'm on Dylan and U2 lately.

Ada [The Duchess] said...

Aww Congrats on the baby!

Your dog looks completely ignorant of the doll in front of him.

Jay Nicolosi said...

Amy and I discussed this song over the weekend, and she mentioned the "ring around the rosy" lyrics. Appearantly this came about during the Plague, and posies kept in pockets were thought to keep one healthy. Alas, the song is about 1/3 of the population of europe perishing.....